Boost your SEO Ranking with Copywriting & Holistic SEO
An article by Tablö Creative
In this 2-part series, we'll guide you through how to write great content for your website that takes both Search Engine Optimization and Accessibility into account. Search engines like Google serve their users by indexing information on the web to make it universally accessible. By developing your website content with intention, it helps maintain relevance to a user's search query. Holistic SEO is a digital marketing strategy designed to make a website rank the best in a specific niche market.
Before you begin writing copy content, consider the following:
- What is the purpose of your writing?
- Who is the target audience?
- What valuable information are you offering your target audience?
- How can you plan the structure and presentation of the article in a way that is easily readable?
Keep reading to learn how you can use the techniques of search engine optimized (SEO) copywriting to help boost your website’s search ranking.
Phase 1 – Narrow Down Your Topics
During the planning phase, start by identifying keywords and phrases you want to rank for to reach your target audience that are relevant to your article. Using the right keyword allows you to capture the attention of your readers who are searching for what you are offering.
Identifying your Target Audience
Identify who your target audience is, and learn about their unique needs. Consider their demographics, psychographic and behavioural qualities to help guide the direction of your writing. Tools such as Google Analytics and social media insights can help you gather and analyze information on your target audience.
Your keywords list will consist of search terms that apply to your niche and your unique selling points. It’s helpful to organize and prioritize your keywords list. The list should reflect search queries your audience used to land on your website. Try to come up with combinations of keywords and variations of these terms. You can use a tool like WordTracker to come up with related search phrases. This will build the foundation of your website’s copy development and serve as a reference as you continue to maintain your site content going forward.
Phase 2 – Structure and SEO Copywriting
SEO copywriting works best when you follow a defined process. The structure of text draws the reader’s attention to the key points of your text. Follow these tips to help you enhance your website’s content:
- Start each paragraph with the most important sentence, and be sure to incorporate your primary keywords. The reader should be able to get an idea of what your article is about just by reading the first sentence of each paragraph.
- Include your primary keyword in your page title. It is the first thing search engines and your audience read when they land on your page.
- Find common alternatives of your primary keyword and use them in your web page content. It validates that your page should rank for related search terms.
- Use geographical words in conjunction with your keywords if you are a small business that serves a client base in a specific location. Consider using the names of nearby neighborhoods as well if you offer a service that people are willing to travel for.
- Include outbound links in your website content to help not only your audience, but also search engines know that your content is associated with other relevant websites to their search. This helps you build what’s called Domain Authority (DA). If you’re producing valuable content, other sites in your niche will link to your site. This will organically increase your DA.
- Include internal links from one page on your website to another whenever you can to connect relevant points of information and offer more value to your readers.
Phase 3 – Revising and Editing
Once you have a draft, it’s time to revise and edit. Don’t be afraid to throw stuff out. Read your piece out loud, pay attention to spelling, and rephrase awkward sentences. Be sure to look at the structure of text and use headings to break up content, just like you see in this article. Consistently revise and refine your text to meet the specific demands of your target audience and search engines.
You don’t have to be a natural born creative writer to develop valuable content for your website. By following these steps, and with a little bit of practice, you’re sure to get better each time. Share this post with a friend or colleague if you learned anything valuable!
About Tablö Creative
Tablö Unconventional Creatives is a Toronto based full-service agency. We take a strategic and personalized approach to telling your brand’s story, offering a range of services from digital marketing, branding, content creation, web development and sustainability consultation. We’re all about using our creativity to solve your unique business challenges and reach your goals.